Mar 2, 2015

Simon's one month


There's this re-initiation phase into parenthood after every child, I've decided. There's similar challenges as the first child; then there's all this new stuff you imagined in your head, but didn't actually expect you'd have to go through with the second. I'm being reminded of past experiences with Lincoln, but Simon is making sure to create some original memories for himself.

So here's life lately, from one to two kids.

I found out, very quickly, how there is very little time for myself during the day. Making myself a meal and sitting down to eat peacefully??? Will that ever happen again? So it's pretty much me snacking here and there when I get the chance. I grabbed a handful of chocolate chips (seems like a nutritious option when I can't get a full meal) and was eating some while feeding Simon. I might have felt one drop; okay I did feel one drop because I remember taking like half a second to find it, but didn't.

A few hours later, Lincoln and I were in the living room playing trains, and he looked over at me, pointed at me, and said, "YUCK!" I look down to my chest and see this nasty brown shmear. What the?? Oh! The chocolate chip! Somehow stuck and melted to my chest. Lovely.
                                     
Also, I smell different due to this concoction Simon created. It's an equal blend of spit-up, urine, and poop. I just want to store the smell in the fanciest bottle and keep it for special occasions when I want to feel extra MOM!

One night, as I rocked Simon after a night feeding, I had him projectile vomit all over me. No big deal, just use my bare hand to rub it into my shirt more. I started falling asleep rocking him, but was woken up with a warm sensation on my stomach. Yes, urine. It was a cooler night, so it was his way of warming me up I guess.

That morning, I was able to sneak in a quick shower. WOW! A shower is so refreshing. I went in to make a green smoothie for breakfast that morning and Lincoln insisted on pushing the blender button. So I put the blender close enough for him to push the button, and when I pulled it away and took the lid off, he reached to push the button just one more time...

Green smoothie EVERYWHERE. All over Lincoln, all over me, and did I mention I was holding Simon? Well, it was all over Simon too. And this all happened as Simon was crying to be fed. I haphazardly wiped us off, and then hurried over to feed Simon to calm him. As I'm feeding Simon and using his blanket to wipe out smoothie from his hair, I feel and hear the biggest rumble on my lap. And almost instantly, my hand is wet. Complete and major blow-out. Perfect timing Simon. I say that only half sarcastically because the other half really did think it was perfect timing. I mean, we're all dirty from the smoothie, might as well smear some poop on us too.

Now for some more learning experiences as a parent:

1. Sometimes, toddlers need to be served their meal in courses.
Is it normal to serve a toddler his meal in courses? I've never seen or heard anyone doing this, but I do. And I tell ya, it helps. Since we always struggle with having him eat veggies, I give veggies to him first with nothing else on his plate. If he's hungry enough, he'll eat a couple. THEN, I will give him his actual meal. It's a pain, but a mom has got to do what a mom has got to do...

2. They will become a parrot.
We are learning quickly, now that Lincoln is talking more and more, that he will repeat anything we say. Example, the other night at dinner, as we sat down, Lincoln extended his arm towards me and pointed at my food and said in a commanding voice, "EAT!" It was quite hysterical, and I'm sure you would find it funnier if you actually saw him say it. He hears and sees me say that to him several times a day so his impersonation was pretty dead on.

3. Spiritual little giants.
This is my absolute favorite. Family prayers at night, seeing my little boy on his knees, arms folded, and sometimes closing his eyes (usually he's peeking around though). I know I shouldn't be so distracted during a prayer, but I can't help but just watch him the entire time. And as we close our prayer, he yells out, "AMEN!" And then there's prayer time before we eat. He folds his arms to remind us to pray. We'll say a prayer to bless the food, and if I'm standing in the kitchen as the boys pray at the table, the moment I sit down to join them, he says prayer again! Our food usually gets two blessings in this house.

4. The floor becomes a war zone.
A war zone AND a death trap. Especially in the middle of the night when the house is dark and you walk across the living room and your son's plastic helicopter spears the bottom of your tender foot. I'm not sure how many times I've stepped on that cursed helicopter. I swore that if it happened one more time I would chuck it at the wall and then burn it and throw it away.

Well Simon, you've been surprisingly easy on your mother. Either you're easier or I'm less stressed this time around.....probably a little of both. You have been held and kissed many many times by your brother. You don't seem thrilled by it, but you put up with it. Happy one month!
And one last thing... 
It's something you're working on, but as soon as you open your eyes, they're usually looking in different directions. You give us the creepy eye pretty often and we get a good laugh. I caught a picture of it with a little spit up action. You crack me up. You're still adorable, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment