Oct 10, 2013

thank yous and scones

I feel like I need to start this post off saying thank you to everyone. Since sharing our post on changes we are making with our diet, we've had so many people reaching out. I've had people send me recipes, refer me to certain blogs, sites, and books to read, and sharing their own testimonies of how a healthy change in their diet has helped them with some of their own ailments. So thanks for the help, ideas, and of course, encouragement.

One of my mom's friends called her, after reading our blog, to tell her about someone she knew who had similar symptoms as Ryan's and was later diagnosed with MS. Like I mentioned in our first post, one of the neurologists told us he believed it could be early stages of MS, so hearing someone else having similar symptoms and being diagnosed with MS later on, is no surprise. We know this diagnosis is a possibility. She said her friend had eliminated gluten from her diet, which helped her with her symptoms. Although gluten free wasn't originally on our restrictions, we will continue the rest of our month gluten free after I go shopping Saturday and rearrange a few of the recipes I have planned. :)

Lincoln has done a complete 180 since yesterday. He's back to sleeping throughout the night, but the runny nose is running and there may be a few snot crusties lingering on his face still. His energy is for sure back up because this morning required chasing him around the kitchen, living room, and rescuing him after getting stuck under the kitchen chair AGAIN!
27/52
I always leave his bedroom door open a crack when he's napping. I went up this morning when he started waking up and peeked into his room and watch him talk to himself. He'll pull himself up, fall down, pull himself back up again, all while carrying on his one-way conversation with himself. He cracks me up. I ran downstairs to grab the camera because I wanted to remember this moment. I took the first picture, but then he heard the click from it, so the second captures him saying.... "Who's outside my room?!"
I'm so happy I decided to turn the oven on during our peak hours yesterday to bake these scones. Shhh. That's a secret between you and I, and not for Ryan to know. Why are the peak hours always the most inconvenient time? Either way, an extremely warm kitchen was worth it. I came downstairs this morning, opened up the back patio door (brrr--- windy and rainy), and walked to the kitchen all giddy to eat my scone.


vegan Cinnamon Blueberry scones
adapted from neverhomemaker

ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup large flake oats
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons milk (you can use any milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespon cinnamon
1 cup frozen berries

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
2. Place the flours, coconut oil, and honey in a bowl and blend well.
3. Then mix in the cinnamon, salt, flax, and baking soda.
4. Add the milk and vanilla extract; mix until just moistened. Do not over-mix.
5. Fold in the berries. Let sit for a few minutes until chilled by the berries.
6. Scoop the dough onto a clean, well-floured work surface. Loosely shape into a circle and pat down.
7. Cut into wedges and then place on a cookie sheet.
8. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until deep golden brown color. Let cool before serving.

1 comment:

  1. I had this thought earlier... You should do a detailed head-to-toe assessment on Ryan and record it all so you can compare details now and at the end of the month. Good luck with gluten free! There is so much out there now. Even costco sells a gluten-free flour mix now. I wish we were gluten-free! Haha Jude can't even have the gluten free stuff. I will send some more ideas your way when I have more time. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete