Oct 14, 2013

cha-cha-cha-chia



Gosh this kid is so dang cute. I know I'm bias but he REALLY is. It's the facial expressions.... and the hair. 

This weekend was absolutely AMAZING......not! It was the absolute worst!!!! It was one of those weekends where you actually wish Monday would hurry up and rear its ugly head. Those are few and very far in-between. But when you're sick... that happens. I actually started crying from being so tired---- scary flashback from when Lincoln was first brought home. Although this time I had my husband and Lincoln staring at me like, 'why you so emotional woman?' I slept like crap all weekend, my throat was killing me, and allergies, and I wanted some junk food. Not a good time to withhold sweets. I might have popped those cough drops like candy because of the sugar in them. 

But now look, it's Monday, I'm feeling so much better, and now I'd like the weekend to come back. 

And now for an update: Can we get a WOOT! WOOT! ??
Cause we just finished our first week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan and I were talking about it yesterday. The good and bad of it all. Here's what we discussed. 
The bad: it is more work. OBVIOUSLY. There is a lot more preparation that goes into everything. If you are out of food, it's not a quick drive to the closest fast food place. It's required detailed grocery lists and meal planning, lots of cutting and preparing and cooking what I can in bulk to have throughout the week. This is the big drawback for me, since I'm the one doing all of it. 

So what's the biggest drawback for Ryan? Yesterday I made pizza-- with a gluten free pizza crust might I add. I asked him what could make it better and you know what he said? It wasn't the crust, he actually thought it tasted good, but the one critique he gave me... it needs meat.

And the good? Ryan has told me he hasn't felt so tired in the mornings. He believes it's from eliminating the soda and aspartame. The headaches he had during the first week have gone away as well. Caffeine withdrawal? We also agreed we haven't felt like complete CRAP from anything we've eaten. We haven't seen any improvement with his joints, but he says he feels really good overall which is a HUGE perk. 

Saturday called for some special pancakes to celebrate the ending of our first week. Delish. 

Why did I think pancakes from scratch were difficult? Because they're definitely not.

Coconut Carrot Pancakes
Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or unbleached all purpose)
1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup grated carrots
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbs coconut oil
2 tbs agave
1 tbs cinnamon
pinch of salt
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Add flour, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon and half of the shredded coconut in a large bowl and whisk to combine. 
  2. Pour almond milk into a large liquid measuring cup. Add oil, vanilla, and agave and whisk to combine. Add wet to dry and stir.
  3. Stir in carrot and let batter rest for 5 minutes while preheating skillet to medium heat.
  4. Once skillet is hot, lightly grease the surface with non-stick spray and spoon on 1/4 cup measurements of batter. 
  5. Cook for another couple minutes on the other side. 
  6. Serve with warm maple syrup or agave and sprinkle the other half of coconut on top. 
Adapted from Minimalistbaker

3 comments:

  1. So proud of you guys! I admire you for doing this. It really is so much work. That's why I'm lazy about dan and I because I have to spend so much time on Jude's diet! What about the wheat flour. Are you still doing gluten-free? Keep up the good work! I'm glad Ryan has been feeling better. Hopefully he'll feel an improvement in his joints as time goes on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know it's not nearly as much work that you've had to commit to with Jude, but it does make it easier to make the food for both of us and we don't have to worry about Lincoln right now. I remember reading on your blog that you and Dan don't eat foods in front of Jude that he can't have. I thought it was best to do this with him so that he doesn't feel alone on it. We started gluten free this week! Saturday was our last day because I had to go to the grocery store and buy stuff. I'll have some gluten free recipes coming up. I just did quinoa pizza crust! And ryan liked it! yippee!

      Delete
    2. Ohh thank you! I still feel like yours is extra admirable because it's all by choice! I'm excited to hear about your quinoa pizza! Do you use soy cheese? Judge can't have any cheese or even fake cheese so I've never made him pizza but I would still love to see if he could have the crust and he could have it just as like, a breadstick. I look back fondly on the days Jude just had breastmilk p! Soo much easier!!

      Delete