Mar 27, 2013

Lincoln's day

Lincoln's due date was March 19th. I posted that night about his decision (not ours) to not come on his due date. But as a celebration to the 40 weeks-- and maybe a hidden agenda of inducing labor-- we went to our favorite indian place and ordered us a spicy dish --one of the natural ways to induce labor according to the internet :)
 
Next morning, March 20th, at 3am sharp, I woke up with terrible stomach pains. Clueless they could actually be contractions, I blamed the indian food and tried to go back to sleep. It wasn't happening, the pain kept coming back, every 10 minutes...
 
Silly me, I was certain the contractions would go away. Ryan and I timed the contractions up until 6am when they finally got down to 5 minutes. This is it!! We drove to the hospital just in time to watch the sun rise. Awesome way to start a day of labor too, i highly recommend going into labor around sunrise to any of you who are expecting :)
I wish I could write details of everything that day, but no joke, it's all a blur. For the first 14 hours of labor I wasn't in terrible pain, but I took some Dilaudid to take the edge off and it pretty much put me in a state of complete daze. When my biff drove up from Tucson that day to be there, I couldn't even pull it together to open my eyes. That's what happens when you give a narcotic to a girl who NEVER EVER takes medication for hardly anything. I'm more of a gargle-with-salt-water and spoonful-of-raw-honey kinda girl when I'm sick. Anyway, let's just say I was out of it just from the IV meds.
 
By 5pm and not progressing since the afternoon, I was put on Pitocin. At this point, things got ugly, painfully ugly, and definitely the most painful part of the entire experience. So my loving and concerned husband helped round up the anesthesiologist to give me an epidural. After the epidural, I gave a huge sigh of relief and a big thank you to Dr. Hackit. He cracked a joke about his name afterwards saying, "It's a good thing I'm not a urologist huh?" I'm sure he uses that joke with every patient and rightfully so, it's a good one!
 
I was surprised at how quickly I progressed from that point. Next thing I know, it was time. This bundle of joy we had been anxiously waiting to meet, love, hug and kiss for the last 9 months is finally coming to us. Ryan and I had a few minutes alone to ourselves. The words we exchanged of our love for one another and our baby that Heavenly Father was blessing us with.....it had to have been one of the most precious moments of our marriage next to our wedding day & birth of our son.  And then he was here...
Our perfect baby boy!
 
 Introducing the newest member of our family
who is already showing off his guns to the nurses :)
 
Lincoln Joel Shideler
March 20, 2013
8:47pm
21 inches long
7lbs 12 oz

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. He is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So-- not so secret anymore, but I love reading your posts and am pretty excited for you and your growing family. <3 And you look amazing after just giving birth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm glad you enjoy reading them. sometimes i think nobody is interested in what i blog so it's nice to hear you do. :) thanks again!

      Delete
  3. He is so darling! Congrats you guys! Can't wait to meet him someday (hopefully sooner than later!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! and i want to see more pictures of you and your growing belly!!!

      Delete
  4. Yay! Lincoln is so perfect!!! I guess the spicy food really does help haha. Glad all went well. :) P.S. how do you look that good after that many hours of labor!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we were going to name him hunter but some couple we know took it. :) i guess lincoln will have to do. jk

      Delete
  5. Oh how precious! I am so happy for you both. Congrats on a beautiful healthy addition to your family! keep the photos coming!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! i hope things are going well for you guys. congrats on expecting as well. I cant believe the last time we were with you guys in hawaii you only had noah! time flies.

      Delete
  6. Oh he is perfect! So happy for you guys!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tears!!! Such a beautiful experience you've had! He is gorgeous just like his parents!!!!! Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such a great writer, Liz. Great recap and a beautiful boy that I can't wait to see! So happy for you guys.-lorie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can't wait to see you in may. what better way for you to meet him than to babysit? ha

      Delete
  9. Congratulations Liz!! He's adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is handsome indeed - congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one adorable little baby! Love love love his name! So happy for you! I'm glad everything went well. I could totally feel that pain again when you were talking about the patocine! So not fun. Thanks for posting all the pics! You seriously are the only girl I know that can look that beautiful right after having a baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh thank you so much julie. you are so sweet! :)

      Delete
  12. Aww!! I loved reading this! You are too funny, I'm sure every woman out there is going to hold of until sunrise for labor ;D
    Your little guy is just too adorable! I just want to squeeze him!!
    (P.S. You look AMAZING for just giving birth, what is the secret??)

    ReplyDelete