Aug 28, 2012

surgeons and music

surgery.What is the best area for a nurse to work? I'm not really sure. I've only worked as an operating room nurse and although trying something else intrigues me at times, I'm sure I would come running back to the OR after doing what some nurses on the floor have to do.

One aspect of being in the operating room that makes things really interesting/entertaining, is being in tight quarters with the doctors. Don't get me wrong, a majority of the doctor's are very sweet and easy to talk to. However, there are those surgeons that make my eyes pop out and make me stop in my tracks to stare. It's hard to believe that a grown adult could fold their arms and stomp the ground like a little child... literally. Or have a tourrette's episode and start shouting profanities out of NO WHERE and then go back to talking about themselves. Very eye popping. I'm sure you can guess how my day was at work. :) Just a little pet peeve at work, dealing with adult-children.

We do listen to music during surgery. We try to keep it professional, but let's be real here, a majority of the time it's not. And we try to keep the music off when we bring the patient back, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

I'm going to keep track of songs playing when the patient comes back that you have to run over and shut-off because it's just down right inappropriate. First song on the list:  Knockin' on Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan. Not exactly what you want to hear when you're going in for surgery. Great work week and it's only Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. Haha, ya doctors can even be a little ridiculous up on the floor too. I remember doing my preceptership in the OR and was shocked that they were listening to rock music during an ortho surgery! It seems to be a different world down there but fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha Ha! I am Office Manager for a GI surgeon and I often wonder what he's like in the OR. He's very calm mannered with me, but i've seen him get in a tizzy over other Doctors, or hospital administration. Sometimes being inappropriate is the only way to deal with the crazyness that you encounter on a day-to-day basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hilarious! Although, I'm sure the patient (if he or she remembers) doesn't find it as humorous. Oh well. What can you do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another song to add to the list: Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton.

    ReplyDelete