Jul 24, 2012

1/3 mexican girl posole

You know what is a great invention? the Crockpot. Yes. A device that you throw a bunch of a food in, turn it on, leave for a few hours, come back and it's all ready for you to eat. A complete life saver, especially for my husband's sake.

A tid-bit of information about myself, i'm 1/3 Mexican. Grandpa was full, Grandma is half, which leaves me about 1/3. Do I know how to cook Mexican food? Unfortunately no, other than the chicken enchiladas my grandma taught me. But other than that, the extent is a cheese quesadilla. :)

Ryan served his LDS mission in Mexico and one of his FAVORITE dishes was posole. For his birthday last year, I thought I would find a recipe and try and make posole for him. And I so happened to come across a recipe for posole made in a crock pot. Now give me one second to defend the crockpot posole, because I got a good rationing for cooking posole in a crockpot from a full-blooded mexican I work with. :) I have never tasted posole IN Mexico, but my husband has and as far as he remembers, he says this recipe is very close. He loves it, I love it, and it's easy. SO, without furtrher ado, this is my 1/3-mexican-girl posole crockpot recipe. :)

4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 small can of diced green chiles
2- 8oz cans of chicken broth
1/2 yellow onion chopped
1-2 jalepeno chopped *depending on how spicy you want it
1- 8oz can chopped tomatoes undrained
1/2 green cabbage shredded
2 green peppers chopped
Approx. 50 oz hominy
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs chili powder
salt and pepper

Here's the really hard part.
Throw everything in and cook high for 3 1/2 hours or 5 1/2 on low.
I add the shredded cabbage last hour.
When it's ready, get two forks and shred the chicken. It usually just falls apart on its own when stirring. Serve with warmed corn tortillas and lime. And maybe a dallop of sour cream. :)
* We usually have pork. If so, have pork chopped up in bite-size pieces when thrown in.

2 comments:

  1. A. My Ryan and I love Mexican food and need to use my crockpot more and I didnt know you were part Mexican!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, YUMMMMM! Making my mouth water as I type this. I've been on a Mexican-food kick for a couple weeks, and I can't seem to stop. This looks amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete