Jun 7, 2012

Paleo Orange Dark Chocolate Chip Scones

The other night Ryan and I were talking about memories we have from elementary school. He's certain that he remembers nothing before 7th grade but I remember a lot-a lot.  I told him story after story laughing at myself and how my personality back then still reflects who I am today. "Okay girls. If I let you use my jump rope for double dutch at recess today, here are some rules you're going to have to follow." Ryan did pipe in  saying, "Yeah, that sounds like you."  Have you ever told someone a story about yourself and you're laughing at something you did but the other person listening isn't laughing. I get that a lot. I usually follow my story with, "I crack myself up." And it's true. I really do. And if I don't make anyone else laugh besides myself then I'm okay with that. Ohhh sweet sweet memories.

Speaking of.....I had one tonight. Around 11:30pm when I decided to get out of bed to go bake something. If you saw how empty our fridge was, you would rush to the grocery store and buy us everything out of sheer sympathy. I had few responsibilities being a stay-at-home wife these past few months, one of which is grocery shopping, and I've been slacking big time. My slacking has led me to go ahead and get a job. If I'm not going to have our small apartment clean, fridge stocked, and dinner ready, I might as well be helping pay the bills.

Back to my flashback memory. I came across this Paleo recipe and just so happened to have 2 nearly unedible oranges in the fridge and so this recipe helped rescue them. I have zero to little patience so as soon as these babies were out of the oven I dove right in. Now that I've started baking a little more, I've started talking out loud to myself. Creepy right? Moving on though, after I took my first bite I said something along these lines, "Mmmm.....ahhh..hot hot hot...mmm that's good....hot oooh hot......those are really good...ha-ha-hot." Anyway, that delicious bite brought me back to Christmas as a child. One thing we would always get in our stocking, and still do, are those chocolate oranges. They are the coolest!!!! You get to smash them on the ground to break it apart before eating. And there's little bits of toffee and the orange chocolate melts in your mouth......i'm literally drooling. Well, these scones are the baked goods of those. And if you want to see for yourself, here's the recipe I got from Elanas Pantry.

Orange Dark Chocolate Chip Scones
2 cups blanched almond flour
3/4 teaspon baking soda
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I used 1/4 and chopped them up)
1 tbs orange zest (I'll put more in next time)
1 egg
3 tbs agave nectar

In large bowl combine flour, baking soda, chips and zest.
In smaller bowl combine egg and agave.
Combine two bowls and knead with hands if necessary to combine all ingredients into dough.
Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Form dough into circle, 1/2 in. thick*
Cut dough like pizza into 8 slices
Bake 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. I waited till they were dark golden brown.

*It helped placing a separate sheet of parchment on top and using a rolling pin to flatten dough. But take it off to cut dough and cook.

3 comments:

  1. This look so delicious and I don't even like oranges!!

    xo Shane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOOVE SCONES!! I just made my first ones when I happened to see the Starbucks Vanilla Scones recipe floating around. So freakin' good. These look divine! Don't feel too bad about your fridge... mine probably looks worse... I hate grocery shopping!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmm those look awesome! i'll have to try it out! glad your night shaped up ;) found you via the wiegands link up and am excited to follow along xo

    ReplyDelete