Dec 9, 2011

k-nola

i made granola last night and let's just say it was very successful! There's something about making home-made granola that's very satisfying. i was on the phone with my bff (karn) and she gave me some great pointers on how to make it turn out just right! so i dedicate this batch to her and name it
K-nola. :)

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice ( i used cinnamon )
  • 3 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (didn't add)
  • 2/3 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries

Directions

  1. Preheat an oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Combine brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, rolled oats, almonds, and pecans in a large bowl. Mix the applesauce, honey, and vanilla in a separate large bowl. Stir the oat mixture into the applesauce mixture, until granola begins to gather in clusters. Spoon granola evenly onto prepared baking sheets.
  3. Bake in preheated oven, stirring every 20 minutes, until lightly browned and crispy, about 1 hour.
  4. Remove from oven; cool to room temperature. Stir in raisins and cranberries; store in an airtight container.
* I changed the oven settings to 350 and stirred every 10 minuts for a total of 35 minutes. Recipe from allrecipes.com

I was so excited to wake up this morning and have some granola before the hubby left for school. Look at me... i'm like a little school girl excited about granola. i LOVE k-nola. :)

6 comments:

  1. I have been looking for a good granola recipe for so long! I've tried so many and can never get it right. Definitely trying this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome recipe! I tried it and turned out good, except it got a little burned, my bad! haha Excited to have it for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so going to try this.

    I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog, so adorable! Check out my giveaways all month. December of favorites!

    stephanieromney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I hope you all like it. A helpful hint is to make sure to take it out before it becomes crunchy in the oven. Once the granola cools, it hardens on it's on. So it may be soft still before you remove it from the oven. When the oats are nice golden brown they should be perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I've been searching for a good homemade granola recipe and this one looks delicious. I'm also a new follower to your blog.

    ReplyDelete